The subject of genetics and genetic data can be very overwhelming. It can also be scary and bring up the following questions:
- Is it safe to give my DNA to a commercial company?
- How do I know this won’t be a waste of money?
- If I do this, am I guaranteed to get better?
When looking to get genetic testing done, there are two options available:
- Getting tested through your primary care physician (PCP)
- Getting tested through a commercial service
For the clients that I work with, I recommend going with the commercial option. The reason for this is that there is a comprehensive test and report that costs $180 + tax. The process provides a comprehensive review of more than 80 genes SNPs (pronounced Snips). This particular report provide the best value, by far, that I’ve been able to find.
There are significant privacy issues involved however. I will address how to mitigate these below.